What do I need to do to have my water service restored after it has been shut off for sewage nonpayment?

You must make a payment in full to FTMSA. This will include the shut off/on fees.

If you make the payment on our website, you will need to call into the FTMSA office to let us know that you have made your payment on our website. (724) 327-1950

After payment is received, FTMSA will contact MAWC to let them know that you have paid in full, and that the water can be turned on for sewage.

You will then have to call MAWC (724) 755-5800 to make arrangements to have your water restored.