What is a typical wastewater emergency?

  • A basement back up of wastewater.
  • A manhole or clean out that is overflowing.
  • To report an afterhours wastewater emergency, please call 724-836-1551


Frequently Asked Questions - General

If you are putting an addition on your home, you must submit a plot plan showing the layout of the addition, including any right-of-way’s or easements, prior to construction of the addition.  You will also need to do a Pennsylvania One Call locate (Call before you dig  1-800-242-1776 or 811)

Please contact the afterhours 911 emergency number 724-836-1551.

If you feel your sewer is plugged for any reason, please contact FTMSA (724) 327-1950 prior to calling a plumber so we can determine if the problem is the homeowner’s responsibility or if it is FTMSA’s responsibility. 

Any work on the lateral line is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Water laying in your yard can be caused by numerous things such as a leaking water line, a wet weather spring or possibly a leaking sewer line.  One of the simplest ways to determine if it is city water is to run a chlorine test.  If the test comes out positive, call the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County, and they will further assist your problem.  If the test comes out negative, then you need to call FTMSA.  If you do not have the ability to run a chlorine test, please call FTMSA and we will assist you.

Residential properties are billed on a flat rate system, so filling your pool will not affect your sewer bill, but it may affect your water bill.  Please call the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County (MAWC) and check with them.  If filling a pool on a Non-Residential property, you will be billed according to your water consumption provided to us by MAWC.

If you are constructing an above-ground or an in-ground pool, you must submit a plot plan showing the layout of the pool including right-of-ways or easements prior to any construction.  For an in-ground pool, you will also need to do a Pennsylvania One Call locate. (Call before you dig 1-800-242-1776 or 811)

 Storm Sewers are the responsibility of the Municipality of Murrysville.  Please contact them at (724) 327-2100 with any questions concerning storm sewers.

A camera inspection and down spout verification is now required on sewer laterals in the Municipality of Murrysville when selling or refinancing the property.  Please call our office with the address and Tax Map No. to verify if the property needs an inspection.  If the property does need an inspection, the fee is $350.00 and an application must be filled out in order to schedule the inspection.  Also, certain properties in Export Borough require testing.  Please call with the address, and we will let you know if your property requires the testing.

If you feel your sewer is plugged, please contact FTMSA prior to calling a plumber so we can determine if the problem is the homeowner's responsibility or FTMSA's responsibility.

Sewer odors in your home are mainly caused by a malfunctioning trap.  We recommend that water be run through all traps in the home. (floor drains, laundry tubs, basement sinks....)  If the odor persists, please contact FTMSA and we will arrange for one of our staff to inspect your home.

 If you see a loose or missing manhole cover, please contact FTMSA (724-327-1950) or the Murrysville Police Department (724-327-2111) immediately with the location information.