Frequently Asked Questions

If you are putting an addition on your home, you must submit a plot plan showing the layout of the addition, including any right-of-way’s or easements, prior to construction of the addition.  You will also need to do a Pennsylvania One Call locate (Call before you dig  1-800-242-1776 or 811)

Please contact the afterhours 911 emergency number 724-836-1551.

If you feel your sewer is plugged for any reason, please contact FTMSA (724) 327-1950 prior to calling a plumber so we can determine if the problem is the homeowner’s responsibility or if it is FTMSA’s responsibility. 

Any work on the lateral line is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Water laying in your yard can be caused by numerous things such as a leaking water line, a wet weather spring or possibly a leaking sewer line.  One of the simplest ways to determine if it is city water is to run a chlorine test.  If the test comes out positive, call the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County, and they will further assist your problem.  If the test comes out negative, then you need to call FTMSA.  If you do not have the ability to run a chlorine test, please call FTMSA and we will assist you.

Residential properties are billed on a flat rate system, so filling your pool will not affect your sewer bill, but it may affect your water bill.  Please call the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County (MAWC) and check with them.  If filling a pool on a Non-Residential property, you will be billed according to your water consumption provided to us by MAWC.

If you are constructing an above-ground or an in-ground pool, you must submit a plot plan showing the layout of the pool including right-of-ways or easements prior to any construction.  For an in-ground pool, you will also need to do a Pennsylvania One Call locate. (Call before you dig 1-800-242-1776 or 811)

 Storm Sewers are the responsibility of the Municipality of Murrysville.  Please contact them at (724) 327-2100 with any questions concerning storm sewers.

A camera inspection and down spout verification is now required on sewer laterals in the Municipality of Murrysville when selling or refinancing the property.  Please call our office with the address and Tax Map No. to verify if the property needs an inspection.  If the property does need an inspection, the fee is $350.00 and an application must be filled out in order to schedule the inspection.  Also, certain properties in Export Borough require testing.  Please call with the address, and we will let you know if your property requires the testing.

If you feel your sewer is plugged, please contact FTMSA prior to calling a plumber so we can determine if the problem is the homeowner's responsibility or FTMSA's responsibility.

Sewer odors in your home are mainly caused by a malfunctioning trap.  We recommend that water be run through all traps in the home. (floor drains, laundry tubs, basement sinks....)  If the odor persists, please contact FTMSA and we will arrange for one of our staff to inspect your home.

 If you see a loose or missing manhole cover, please contact FTMSA (724-327-1950) or the Murrysville Police Department (724-327-2111) immediately with the location information.

For customers who have a Garbage Disposal in their kitchen sink, your sewage bill will reflect an additional user charge per month.

Any garbage disposal that is removed, due to malfunction or just the fact that the customer no longer wishes to have one, should be reported to the Authority.  The Authority will then send out an inspector to verify the removal and then the charges will be removed from the customer’s bill.

The reason that all properties are billed, whether occupied or vacant, is that the plant was designed for a certain capacity that is based upon the estimated flow of waste products that are anticipated to be received from either a residential or a business on a monthly basis.  As such, the customer is billed for that capacity which has been reserved on the homeowner’s behalf on a monthly basis. 

All bills are due on the 20th of the month, and will be considered past due after the 20th of each month. A penalty will be charged for past due balances each month if not received in our office by the 20th.

We accept on-line credit card payments and ACH payments.  

The Authority accepts money orders, checks and cash at the Sewer Authority Office, Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.

Checks should be made payable to:  FTMSA or Franklin Township Municipal Sanitary Authority.

If paying by mail, please include your return stub with your payment to ensure proper credit to your account.   Please do not staple your payment to your stub.

Mail to:  FTMSA, 3001 Meadowbrook Rd., Murrysville, PA 15668

Your payment will be posted the date that it is received in our office.

A Sewer Lateral Inspection is now required on all sewer laterals in the Municipality of Murrysville when selling or refinancing a property. 

You will need to fill out an application and send it in along with a check for $350.00 in order to schedule an inspection. 

Certain areas in Export Borough that start with a tax map #49- may require testing through FTMSA also.  Please call our office to verify.  (724) 327-1950

 Inspections are required for new construction and also any repairs to an existing lateral.  Please call FTMSA to receive a copy of the specifications.  Backfill of a lateral and/or underground is not permitted until inspected by FTMSA. Please call ahead to schedule your inspections.

You must make a payment in full to FTMSA. This will include the shut off/on fees.

If you make the payment on our website, you will need to call into the FTMSA office to let us know that you have made your payment on our website. (724) 327-1950

After payment is received, FTMSA will contact MAWC to let them know that you have paid in full, and that the water can be turned on for sewage.

You will then have to call MAWC (724) 755-5800 to make arrangements to have your water restored.

When signing up for sewage service as a non-residential/commercial tenant, you will need the following:

Residential tenants can no longer sign up for service.  The bill can only be in the owner/landlord’s name.